A National School has stood on the present site of the Senior Building for almost one hundred and twenty years. In 1898 Sir George and Lady Colthurst kindly donated the site on St Anne's Road to the then Blarney Village School which was previously situated in a two storey house on Pump Street. "The Colthurst Blarney Schools" were opened and named in their honour. The school was founded under the patronage of the Catholic Diocese of Cloyne and built originally to accommodate 450 boys and girls from the village. Many changes have occurred since the school's ambitious opening.
Mr Eugene Cotter was the Principal of the Boys School (enrolment of 165 pupils), and his wife was the Principal of the Girls School (enrolment of 180 pupils). Many of the children attending the school had well known Blarney names such as Kiely, Forrest and Murphy. 1953 marked the year when the school was handed over from secular hands to the Sisters of Charity. The first nun to enter the school and appointed to the principal position of the girls side was Sr. Teresa Angela Maher. The very beautiful Lourdes Grotto was erected by her, and can still be seen to this day.
The names of the schools were changed in 1954 to Scoil an Chroí Ró Naofa Cailíní agus Scoil an Chroí Ró Naofa Buachaillí. Two plaques bearing these names can still be seen on the wall of the Senior Building. In 1956 such was the success of the school, the enrolment increased, and from that time onwards, the convent provided the extra space required to teach the children this lead to the appointment of Sr Agnus Rose McRory. Subsequent principals of the girl’s side were Sr Elizabeth Ann McAteer (1958), Sr Agnus Rose McRory (1964) and Sr. Miriam Twohig (1967).
In the spring of 1973, due to an increase in numbers, Scoil Íosagáin na gCailíní was built to accommodate the girls of the parish. It was opened by Canon Cusack in 1974, whilst the boys received a brand new extension in 1986.
In August 2012 both schools were amalgamated and Scoil an Chroí Ró Naofa and Scoil Íosagáin became Scoil Chroí ĺosa. The school is now a co-educational primary school. Junior Infants to 2nd class are located in the Junior Building on Castle Close Rd and 3rd to 6th class are located in the Senior Building on St. Ann’s Rd.